Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What you lookin' at?

Oh how I love Burlington. The weather today makes the months of cold, snow and ice worth the wait.




Melissa texted me this morning to see if I wanted to run Mt. Philo with her, but with the jogger I didn't think it would be a good idea. The going up part doesn't scare me as much as the coming down part. I brought a stroller up the access road once and coming down was hairy. Don't worry, Green Mountain Runner, I will tackle Mt. Philo with you. I don't think I'll kick it's butt quite like you did, but I'll try.

I suggested we run on the waterfront, but due to my miscommunication we left without her. I had intended to run about five miles, but ended up doing 7.3. It was just so perfect. I couldn't help myself.


The last couple miles were a little stop and go. Jack wanted a drink, then a snack, then I needed some water, then he threw his hat out of the jogger.

I love the Burlington bike path along the waterfront. It has a beautiful view and it is FLAT. We crossed paths with an older man on a bicycle (wearing a neon yellow vest) about two miles in and then saw him again around our mile seven. He said, "You're still going strong?!? You're awesome!" I was feeling really tired at this point but he gave me the boost to finish strong. Coming in on the waterfront on the boardwalk, a husband said to his wife, "she's really cooking." People really knew what to say to make my day. How did they know I love compliments?

For the most part, I think the Burlington bike path is a safe place to run. That being said, it was nice today because it was very crowded and I felt very safe. There are sections that are isolated and can be a little creepy if you're on your own.

I was at Barnes and Noble last week with Jack because he loves to play with the train in the kids' section. I like to grab a book to peruse while he plays and I picked up a Runners' World guide to running (I couldn't find Kara Goucher's book). The section that caught my attention was the guide to safety for women.

Some tips that stuck out for me:

1. Run in the morning. Crimes usually occur during the evening, so run in the early morning because the "bad guys" (yes, it said "bad guys") are still sleeping.

Um, seriously?

2. When approaching a male, act confident, shoulders high and make eye contact. If you look down, it shows that you are weak.

Well, I crossed paths twice today with a sketchy looking fellow. The second time, I made it a point to make eye contact with him and he said, "What are you staring at?" Not the response I was looking for.

3. Don't run in tight or revealing clothing. Wear long, loose and baggy clothing to deter men from offering lewd remarks. The "bad guys" can't see your body so they won't want to attack you, and if you wear form fitting clothing you are inviting such comments.

I seriously thought this section was completely ridiculous and outdated. I didn't check the date, but I think it was pretty recent because it addressed the use of iPods for women runners (a big no-no). What do you think about these rules?

1 comment: