Sunday, May 29, 2011

Vermont City Marathon Race Recap

I was so excited and full of adrenaline this morning, and was so eager to get to Battery Park. Picked my mom and Tom up and headed down and met up with the rest of the family (at the usual meeting place- Beansie's Bus). Everyone headed to the start and Aunt Mary and I hung around since we were both running the second leg. We watched the start and then boarded the bus to Oakledge Park and waited for our teammates to come in. We got to see the first marathoners come through, which is always amazing to watch. It was great to spend some time with Aunt Mary and chat and catch up. It's rare to have time like this to hang with her with little ones usually running around!

The hand off point was a little crazy and chaotic but I was so pumped when I saw my mom come in! Her time was around 2:07. I headed off, and started very conservatively because of the heat and humidity. My plan was to run easy for the first six miles and then assess how I'm feeling. I felt great at the halfway point so I decided to just keep plugging at it. I stopped and walked at every water station because I wanted to make sure I was getting the fluids I would need. I alternated Gatorade and water and took Gu at miles five and nine.

Surprisingly, the miles flew by. According to my watch my time is 2:17. I'm feeling really good about this time, especially considering the conditions today. And it's 11 minutes off my half time from November!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats -- a PR!! I am holding you to drinks this week/weekend btw. They can be celebratory beverages.

    ReplyDelete