Monday, May 30, 2011

Calling All Crazies

Happy Memorial Day! I hope everyone is able to relax and enjoy this day and give thanks to all who have and are serving our country.

I was hoping to bring Jack to the Vergenne's Memorial Day Parade today, but it started at 11:00, and he was up this morning at 5:00 so by 10:00 he was ready for a nap.

Quality Nap > Parade

We are heading over to Adam's parents this afternoon. His sister is visiting with her kids and they have a great big porch with comfy chairs and ice cold beer calling my name.

During my pre-half marathon high, I signed up for another half marathon on July 10.

It's the first running of this sure-to-be hilly race. There is a full marathon, half and relay. Any other crazies out there want to join me?!? I hope it's a good race- entry fee was a little steep and they are cleaning spending a ton of $ on their marketing campaign.

I've heard great things about Hal Higdon's plans and loosely followed his intermediate half training plan (mixed with a Runner's World plan). I've been reading some of his info regarding back-to-back marathons (had a hard time finding info on back-to-back half mary plans). He offers some great advice:

1. Plan your schedule early
2. Don't ignore rest
3. Try shorter events
4. Don't run all marathons hard
5. Take time to prepare

(Full article)

Although a half is much different than a full, I think these same rules will still apply, with the exception of less (hopefully) recovery time and only (hopefully) having one week taper.

Source
I'm using his "Six Weeks Between Marathons" plan, doctored a little bit (great graphic design skills, huh?). Many runners I know do not (and dislike) following training plans / schedules. I, on the other hand, LOVE training plans. I love having the schedule to follow and base my runs around. Of course there is always leeway, as with any plan, because things come up and runs need to be rescheduled, shifted and cancelled sometimes. One of the reasons I like using training plans is because they are based on knowledge. Hal Higdon has much more knowledge about running safely and successfully than I do, and I trust what he has to say.

On the other hand, I probably would not trust a training plan from Kara Goucher. I am a Kara lover, but as I'm currently reading her book, I'm finding some not-so-great advice. I think I'll do a book review when I'm finished it.

Okay, so back to back-to-back half marathons. Does anyone have any advice for running back to back half marathons?

1 comment:

  1. Way to go on your PR!!! My race didn't go as planned AT ALL! Since all of my long runs have been about 10:05 pace, I was thinking this would be the same! NO way. I went out way too fast and paid for it during the last 4 miles! My partner came in at 2:05 and we finished in 4:23. Oh well! Anyway, I'm doing a leg in the Mad Marathon!

    ReplyDelete