Sunday, May 22, 2011

Weekend Update

I hope everyone out there in bloggy land had a fabulous weekend. Here's a little peek at our weekend:

Exciting, huh?

One week until the half marathon! I am getting super pumped. I bought a running skirt today and I'm going to do a test run with it this week to see if it will be okay for the race. It's always hard to tell because those pesky chaffing problems don't usually pop up until after mile ten.

Today's run was 6.5 miles at an easy pace, but it felt super hard. It was windy and muggy today and I was not properly hydrated. Dealt with some stomach problems for a couple hours after the run so that was a drag. Last week's 13 miler in the pouring rain felt like a walk in the park compared to today's run.

Today was also Day 2 / Week 1 of the 100 Pushup Challenge. For those of you who care, it looked like this:

S1: 10
S2: 12
S3: 8
S4: 8
S5: 17

Rest 90 seconds between sets

I've been thinking about my training for the race and I'm feeling good. I've set some goals for the week because I need a place to channel all this energy I have (and not direct it towards going through every possible race scenario in my head- I've done that).

Goals for the week:
HYDRATE: My hydration for the entire week affects my hydration on race day so it's important to pump that water

TAKE IT EASY: I've made the mistake before in training, when I get nervous the week before the race and go out and do some crazy speedwork or distances. Made that mistake before my first half. I had trained to 12 miles and then got nervous I wouldn't be able to do 13.1 so I went out and ran 14 five days before the race. What happened race day? I bonked.

YOGA: I want to get in some quality strength / stretch sessions. And make friends again with the foam roller.

FUEL SMART: Balanced meals of protein and carbs

I think that's it.. for now. AHHH! So excited!

2 comments:

  1. body glide is amazing for chaffing. I put it in between my legs, under my sports bra band and wherever else I think things might rub or be irritated. its like 4 bucks and it is a miracle worker!!!! Glad you posted about how nervous you get and how you did a 14 miler once five days before your race, because I was thinking of doing either speed work or a long distance this week because I am so nervous! I wont now. Thanks for saving me from myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting super excited too!!!! I'm also being hyper-conscious of hydration for Sunday. I just got back from Jazzercise and hope to get a few easy runs in this week with total rest on Friday and Saturday. Will you listen to music for the race? I'm trying to perfect my race day playlist. Green Mountain Runner put up a great playlist this week :)

    ReplyDelete