Friday, April 1, 2011

Heart Rate Monitors and Yoga

Has anyone ever used a heart rate monitor while practicing yoga? I pulled out my heart rate monitor last night. Adam gave it to me for my 25th birthday and haven't used it since I was pregnant. I practiced at home last night after Jack went to bed. I don't usually practice at home- too many distractions.

My heart rate stayed around 90, going up to 100-115 during sun salutations and some balancing poses. It did spike to 129 when I attempted headstand. I desperately want to a headstand- away from the safety of a wall. I was able to get my legs about halfway up last night before toppling over. I kept thinking "use your core, use your core." Someday I will be able to just bust out a headstand in the middle of the room during the closing sequence in a packed class. Someday.

It said I burned 175 calories during 75 minutes of yoga. I think that sounds about right. I'm going to try to wear it more often in yoga classes and Bodypump, too.

Side note, closed out the month of March with 114 miles. Someone needs to get a pin, because ever since my PR last weekend my ego has been out of control.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! What heart rate monitor do you use and was it comfortable during class? Did it ever get in the way? I'm researching heart monitors and would love to use one during yoga classes if it doesn't get in the way! Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete