Saturday, June 18, 2011

Basin Harbor 5K Race Recap

This was my 3rd (or 4th- can't remember) year running this race. It's a decent drive- about 45 minutes- for a 5K, but it's a beautiful course and has a great small, hometown feel. I think there were only about 50 or so runners today (they said it was the smallest turnout in their ten years of having this race).

My BFF, a new running mama who was supposed to run, too, wasn't there. Sad face!

My mom, Tom and Jack came down- my mom was running, too. We lined up at the start (which is a decent half mile walk away) and decided that we would run together. We run races together all the time, but never actually together (she's speedier than me). We also decided that we were going to kick some serious trash.

Horn blew and we just went for it. The first mile flew by and I looked at my watch- 7:45. Um, yeah, there's no way we could keep that pace. We slowed down a little bit, but stayed strong. We both told each other to go ahead if needed, but we stayed together right until the end.

Hit mile two around 16:30 and kept plugging along. The last mile was tough and my legs were feeling really tired. But the great thing about 5Ks is that it's over so soon! With only a mile left, I knew I could hold on.

We finished in 25:49! A new PR! It was amazing to run a race with my mom and I think knowing we were in this together made us push ourselves a little more.

We stuck around after, because with so few participants we thought we'd be guaranteed a raffle prize. Nope.




We didn't take any race photos, but here are some playing around after the race.

I'm excited that I had a great race today, but it makes me a little nervous for the half marathon coming up on July 10. I have two more long runs to get it in and then a week rest and it's here. I'm nervous because of the hills, I'm nervous because I just ran a half a couple weeks ago. I'm also nervous because these past two races have been great, personally, and I'm worried I'm due for a bad a race. I guess the Middlebury Maple Run counts as a "bad race," though. I think once I get two double-digit runs in I'll feel much more confident.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great 5k time! How great that you ran with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the PR and how fun that you ran the whole thing with your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! Basin Harbor is such a beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete