Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I'm Trying

I've said it before.. I'm not great in the kitchen. Even so, I do have a couple of recipes in my repertoire. A new favorite is cauliflower mac and cheese. The original recipe is from Runner's World, but after making it a couple times I've found it needs to be tweaked.

Ingredients

large head of cauliflower

2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock

2 bay leaves

16 ounces macaroni (The original recipe calls for 8 ounces of noodles- not nearly enough noodles for how much sauce you end up with- You could even go up to as much as 20 ounces noodles if you use 2 1/2 cups of stock. The original calls for whole wheat pasta, which I used the first time I made it and it was great but since I was making this for Adam, I knew he wouldn't go for the ww)

1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (Any type of cheese works- we use Cabot Extra Sharp. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of cheese- again, since I was making it for Adam, that amount of cheese simply wouldn't cut it)

1/4 cup parmesan

1/4 cup breadcrumbs

1/8 tsp nutmeg

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp dijon mustard

salt and pepper to taste

By using my substitutions, you can get 8 servings at 399 calories a serving. Cut down on the cheese and you will save a ton of calories. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease casserole dish. Cook cauliflower- I boiled water and cooked the cauliflower in it for 20 minutes. Heat stock with bay leaves on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, turn of heat and let sit. Boil water and cook macaroni for five minutes (do not overcook noodles! You will want them slightly underdone because they'll cook more in the over with the sauce). Using an immersion blender, combine cooked cauliflower with stock, cheese (not parmesan), mustard, olive oil and salt and pepper, working in batches. Combine sauce with noodles and put in baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs and parmesan cheese on top and cook for 20 minutes.

*I took a bunch of pictures that I will post later. Adam made fun of me profusely for doing this. I said, "I have 19 loyal followers of my blog and I need to keep them updated!"

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great recipe, I think I will try it tonight, thanks for posting, hopefully my picky little darlings will eat it right up. I have a head of cauliflower I need to use up, so perfect timing

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm That sounds good. I will have to try that! I will also have to try to add more pictures to my blog. I am still holding strong to 13 followers :( PS are we running this week together?!?!!? I would LOVE to if you are free. Thursday, friday, saturday whenever! I have no life!

    ReplyDelete