Thursday, June 9, 2011

Asana Lesson

I've forgotten to post the last two workouts in the Hundred Pushup Challenge, so here they are:

Week 2 / Day 2
S1: 14
S2: 16
S3: 12
S4: 12
S5: 19

Week 2 / Day 3
S1: 14
S2: 17
S3: 14
S4: 14
S5: 21

Day 3 this week was VERY hard, and I realized it's because I've been slacking in the cross-training department. And what did I realize last night? You don't need to GO to yoga to DO yoga. I have a mat, my body and a wood floor. I'm all set.

I didn't run yesterday, because it was just too hot. We went to my mom's and swam, and I practiced in the living after Jack went to bed. I sometimes would get distracted practicing at home because of all the other distractions, but last night I was able to stay focused. And when I put my iPod, on shuffle, I don't have to worry about offending anybody.

The asanas I practiced last night focused on core and arm strength. Here are some of my favorite poses for strength (all pictures courtesy of Yoga Journal).

Plank Pose- can be modified by dropping down to knees or elbows.  Can be made harder by lifting one leg and then the other- just remember to keep good form with hips low and back flat. 

Chaturanga- can be modified by dropping to knees. Can be made harder by alternating lifting on legs. Make sure you keep your hips low and back straight.

Side Plank- Can be modified by dropping down to knees or elbow. Can be made harder by lifting the top leg.

Boat Pose- can be modified by bending knees or holding onto the back of your legs. Make sure you are nice and high on your sit-bones and chest high.

Bakasana- This is a great entry level arm balance. For detailed instructions on how to get into Bakasana, go here.


Yoga poses are great because often you are working multiple muscles at the same time. All these poses work arms and core. Bakasana looks like an arm balance, but there is no way to be steady without a steady core. Think about holding it all it, nice and tight. Your core will give you strength. Please feel free to ask me any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment