Monday, May 2, 2011

Still Learning

Am I disappointed in my race performance yesterday? Yes. Am I over it today? Yes. Did I learn something? Yes.

My leg in the relay ended up being 7 miles and I finished it in 1:13, a 10:25 pace. I paced myself way too slow. My goal pace was 9:30, but I held back for the first few miles because I was afraid of burning out too soon. By the time I hit mile 5 and pick up speed, I couldn't run fast enough to make up for my lackluster time.

Our team time was 2:15- we took 12 minutes off last year's time!

I finished with my tank full. I would have been in a great position to continue on and finish the half marathon, a thought that entered my head several times.

Positives?

-10:25 is a very comfortable pace, so hopefully at this rate I can PR at the half marathon at the end of the month.
-Training on hills makes hills on race day easy. I powered up all the hills when everyone around me had stopped to walk.
-I found a great mantra. "Run smart, run strong." I kept thinking this running up all the hills. Also, "Once you're over the hill, you begin to pick up speed." (Charles Schulz)

We only took one pic, pre-race
I'm planning on writing a full race review later. For now, Jack and I are off to musical storytime.

I hope everyone who raced this weekend had a great race, or if not, learned a little something.

1 comment:

  1. Great time! I can't wait to read the race recap. Champlain classic is VERY hilly and I felt like my Mt. Philo training helped but definitely I have room for improvement. However, I did get slight gratification seeing people walking up the hills as I "jogged" up them. I was dying, but I was running and not walking! Great job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete