Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Last One, I promise

I pinky swear promise: this is going to be the last time I talk about the Keybank Vermont City Marathon.

My mom came in around 2:07 and handed the bracelet to me and I was off. I made a conscious effort to run easy. It was hot and humid and I really did not want to burn out too soon. The first few miles flew by. Battery Street Hill was around mile 2 (mile 15 for the full marathoners) and between the Taiko drummers and insane crowds, I was able to plow up it. I saw some family members, too, so that helped. This would be the only hill for me during the race and it's nice to get it over in the beginning.

Next I headed down North Avenue, winding through Leddy Park and neighborhoods. The north end neighborhoods are amazing. I think they make the race. Everyone is out in their yards, partying, music blasting, kids screaming, it's amazing. They even set up their own water and aid stations, handing out candy and oranges. I had never done this before, but I took some oranges and they actually tasted really good while running. The spirit in the neighborhoods made this part of the race feel easy and fun.

I alternated water and Gatorade at the aid stations, and took a Gu after 45 minutes and another 45 minutes later. I was averaging 10:15 / mile for the first few miles and it was the right pace I wanted to try to keep.

Once you get to the end of North Avenue, the route turns onto the bikepath on the lakefront, and from here's there's less than five miles to go. The route really narrows from hear and the last few miles are spent passing and weaving through crowds. I saw my cousin and her boyfriend with three miles left and I'm pretty sure I yelled at her. I felt bad after, but she had said "Finally!" when she saw me. I think I told her to shut up. Whoops. Love you!

At this point the race was feeling tough. The humidity was getting to me and I was at the point where I wanted to stop and walk. I walked through the water stations, but I made it a point to only walk while I drank the water and then would run again. I didn't want to get in the habit of getting comfortable with walk breaks.

I put my music on and focused, focused, focused. Finally I could see the boathouse, which meant there was less than a mile to go. I turned off my music and could hear the crowds screaming. It's such an amazing feeling, running into Waterfront Park with that many people all pumped up.

The route turns onto the boardwalk, and then there's a few hundred feet on the grass. I could see the finish and I just sprinted. It felt so good to cross the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment