Sunday, March 13, 2011

Right of Way

This was how my day ended yesterday:
Jack is currently obsessed with throwing anything and everything over the gate at the bottom of the stairs. Notice my slippers and the pillows off the couch.

We had a great day yesterday, didn't do much other than teach yoga in the morning. I had a full class which I love, because it sort of gets me pumped up. I was still battling this head cold, or whatever it is, so I pretty much just instructed and didn't do many of the asanas.

Jack refused to talk a nap yesterday, but he wasn't cranky at all.

Later in the afternoon, I put him in the jogger and set out for a run/walk. Big mistake. It was great for him, because he fell asleep right away. But I on the other hand, battled a constant running nose and lungs that couldn't get enough air. We went four miles, and I think I ran a little over two of those miles.

The sidewalks and bikepath in SB are still pretty atrocious. Slushy and wet, but I shouldn't complain because at least they are semi-plowed. It only took the town a week... We went down Dorset Street which even though is a busy street traffic wise, has a nice wide bikepath and sidewalk. It had the best conditions with only minor puddles. After our turnaround by Mills and Greer, I yelled at a driver in front of Healthy Living. I'm trying to be nice and positive but sometimes drivers just get me so angry. Often they are not paying attention. And almost always when this happens the driver happens to be on a cell phone. We were crossing in front of Healthy Living- cars pulling out of the store had the red light and as we were in the crosswalk a driver pulled right through in front of us. Right into the middle of the crosswalk. She was turning left, so there was no reason to be out that far. She was on the phone, and I said "There's a crosswalk here!" Ha, I pointed to the crosswalk, too. I know, I'm so badass. I don't even think she heard what I said but it made me feel a little better.

I feel like as a runner, I am pretty aware of my surroundings. I try to be courteous to drivers and follow the rules of the road. I try not to wear my headphones unless I'm on a truly pedestrian only path so I can hear anything that might be coming my way. I'm constantly dodging cars when I'm in crosswalks and then face the dirty looks from drivers like I am in their way. The absolute worse place for this is the McDonald's on Williston Road. No one ever looks pulling out of that place (big surprise, huh?). Do other runners experience this or is it just me?

1 comment:

  1. I HATE drivers!!!! I feel like the people that have never run outside a day in their lives just have no idea what it is like. They stop in the middle of side walks and block the cross walk for people running, they drive through puddles and splash you (yes that happened yesterday to Alan and I) and just generally have no idea what it is like to share a road with a pedestrian. I basically always assume no one can see me EVER. Such a pain. That is why I LOVE the bike path but they still haven't plowed the ones near my house. On the side walks I go....Good luck out there! haha

    ReplyDelete