Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Old Stomping Grounds

3 mile run

With the days being so short and all here in the winter in Vermont, running outside on days I work is usally impossible. But with the sun now setting at 5:43, things are going to change.

I changed into my running gear at work and skipped out a few minutes early. I work right in the village in Shelburne, so there are so many great places to run. When Adam and I first moved in together, we lived in the cutest little apartment right in the village.




I can't find a picture of the outside, but I'll post as soon as I do. It was the upstairs apartment of a 200 year old farmhouse. It had a ton of charm a lot of quirks.

I ran down Harbor Road to Falls Road, to Mt. Philo Road and through some neighborhoods to Route 7 and back to Harbor Road. It was a route I used to run all the time. It really made me feel sentimental. It's part of the route I took on my first run after finding out I was pregnant. I have so many emotions and memories tied to that year when we first moved in together. For a year we worked and lived together and it was the best year (well the best year pre-Jack).

I felt really strong on the run and ran fast (fast for me). I'm slowly learning the importance of speedwork in training. I need to practice running fast in order to run fast. All these years I just throught I could magically bust out fast numbers in races. It doesn't work that way. I've become faster and stronger in the past year since having Jack than I did in the years running before I had him. When I started running last winter, three months post partum, it was basically like starting over. Even so, I managed to PR at the Shelburne Half Marathon this fall (but the half at KBVCM last year- not so much). I am by no means fast, but I guess you could say I'm getting quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment