Sunday, March 20, 2011

Long Run

9.5 miles / hilly, slightly breezy / should have made a playlist bc I constantly was skipping to the next song

I had a great run. I felt strong and comfortable with the distance. I had mapped out the route last night and thought about veering from it, but stuck to the plan because I knew the distance (no Garmin yet for this gal). It was a hilly route, but when there are uphills there are downhills, too.

I really tried to concentrate on a slow, easy pace. Especially had to hold back in the first couple miles because I get so fired up and just want to run fast. I've learned through mistakes in training before that long runs are not races. I should not be shooting for race pace on a long run. Who is going to care if I PR? Save it for the real deal!

I kept the pace around 10:45 / mile and it worked out well. Didn't feel completely zapped at the end and probably could have ran a couple more miles. I also took a Gu around mile five. I didn't take one before I started because I had just had toast, banana and coffee and didn't feel the need. It seemed to work well for my stomach, too. I didn't get the cramps I usually get a couple hours after a long run. I made sure to drink a lot of water yesterday, too.

Off to enjoy a cold beer... I've earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment