Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Mile Markers

The morning was still engulfed in silent darkness when my alarm went off at 5:15 this morning. I struggled to get out of bed, but luckily I prepared the coffee maker last night so all I had to do was turn it on. That always makes an early hour morning so much easier. And my standing date with Melissa made getting up much easier.

We planned to do ten miles, and when she arrived (promptly) at 5:45 (I was being sketchy and drinking my coffee outside because I was afraid to wake up J) we were off. I'm not quite sure what our first few words were because we were both still in a sleepy daze.

The miles started slow and it definitely took a good couple of miles before my legs warmed up. The miles today flew by. Most of the time we talked, but sometimes (especially toward the end) we didn't say anything. It's nice to be able to spend time with someone and not have to always say something with words. We were "saying" something, because it was a conscious quiet as we neared our eight mile mark.

I just finished reading Mile Markers (M lent it to me) by Kristen Armstrong, and throughout the posts (it's a compilation from her blog) she talks about the importance of her female running friendships. We runners are a different breed. I mean, we get up at 5:15 on a Saturday to do a ten miler! The bond that is formed over miles and strengthened by miles is unquestionable, genuine and authentic. I know I've said it before, but after today I realized I've got a sole sister for life.

P.S. Check out our negative splits! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment