Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Welcome Vanessa!

Hello all! Since the lovely Danielle is on vacation this week, she asked me to write a guest post --and I’m so happy to do it! I wanted to share something that has been on my mind a lot lately, as I transition from “running for fun” to “marathon training”.

While I’ve run some trail races, 5k’s, and even a half-marathon before, I’ve never attempted the whole 26.2 miles. When I signed up for my first marathon, for November of this year, I was immediately filled with excitement--and regret. In the past, running has been my stress relief, source of enjoyment, and time for myself. How would marathon training change that?

While I haven’t officially begin my schedule for training yet, I’ve come up with a few ways to keep my sanity while training on a schedule.

--Don’t be afraid to tweak the schedule: I’m not going to worry if I have to move around a long run because I have plans.

--It’s okay to skip a workout: Of course I don’t want this to be a regular thing, but if I’m sick, injured, or just plain exhausted, I will give myself license to take the day off and come back stronger the next day.

--Keep up the cross-training: In order to prevent injury, it’s really important to me to incorporate things like yoga, swimming, and strength training into my fitness schedule. Plus, it breaks up the monotony of running day in and day out.

--Remember my priorities: Yes, training for (and finishing) a marathon is obviously very important to me. But not as important as my health, family, or work.
I’m excited to start my official training in the next couple of weeks, and I’ll refer back to this list if I feel like the marathon training schedule is taking over my life!

Have you ever felt overwhelmed by a training schedule?
Yes! Just looking at 18 weeks of workouts is intimidating.


What other workouts do you incorporate into your running schedule?
Strength training, core fitness, yoga, lots of stretching and foam-rolling!

Thank you Vanessa! Go visit The Gourmet Runner.. she is so sweet and you will fall in love with her blog.

2 comments:

  1. A training schedule is definitely overwhelming! I know you can stick with it though! You are one hardcore girl!

    I incorporate spinning and strength training into my running schedule. I am guilty of not stretching or foam rolling enough but I am trying to make some changes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have my own list too. But thanks also for sharing your thoughts in here. This is quite helpful.

    ReplyDelete