Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Running Naked

Last night, I ran naked- without music and without J. Lately, most of my runs have been with J in the jogger. When I run with him, I don't listen to music because we have things to talk about along the way. "A school bus! A firetruck! Birdie!" It makes the time fly by, really. But when I'm by myself, I always run with music. Crank it up.

I set out to do only three miles after J went to bed (Adam was home). In shorter races I try to go without music- but I def need music for a half- so there's no reason I can't run without music when I'm by myself. The experience was, as cliche as it sounds, liberating. When running with music I focus on the music, not on what I'm doing: running. I use it as a way to escape (though there's nothing wrong with that) but sometimes I need to be present. I listened to my breath, listened to my footsteps, and accidentally shouted, "A plane!" when I heard an aircraft overhead.

I think there is a definite time and place for music when running, i.e. treadmill, but I know there is a definite place for running without music. I think I'm going to try it more often.

(And almost just as naked as I felt running without music, it felt strange to be running without shoving the 60 pound beast around.)

2 comments:

  1. I haven't run with my stroller at all this year and I can't say as though I miss it at all! It is so liberating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually go into running events with my friends but I don't listen to music. I have read one article taking about this kind of habit when running. It simply doesn't let you focus on running.

    ReplyDelete