Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Enjoy the Small Things

A close friend and colleague of my mom's for 20 years died tragically on Saturday. He drowned while competing in a local sprint triathlon. A healthy, strong, intelligent man, a father to three, husband and friend to many. I met him just a few times, most recently at the Vermont City Marathon. It was his first time running in the marathon as a part of a relay, and was so excited to be doing it. My mom said he was committed to making a healthy lifestyle for himself and his family, and even completed a Spartan race last summer. From what my mom says, he was one of the kindest, smartest, caring person she's ever known.

When tragedy strikes, all those cliches become so real. Everything gets put into eerie perspective. Don't take a single day for granted, you never know if it will be the last. Live your life to the fullest. Enjoy the small things. At my cousin's wedding, I reminded myself that I am so lucky to have a big family. We all love each other and get along (for the most part!) and truly enjoy each other's company. Push your limits, hug your kids, hug your parents, take chances. Make the most of the time you have.

1 comment:

  1. so true. It's sad that sometimes it takes a tragedy to remind you of how precious life is and how quick it can be!

    ReplyDelete