Monday, February 14, 2011

Lovely Day

The 5 am wake-up call from the baby down the hall came early this morning. I could barely drag myself out of bed. I was feeling bad about how frustrated I was yesterday, but I have to remind myself to remember that motherhood is not easy. There will be hard times. My favorite time of the day is the time Jack and I have together in the morning. Me with my coffee and him with his milk, snuggled on the couch. This morning he reached over and put his arm around my neck and I remembered why we are on this crazy ride of parenthood.

I ran three miles this morning, and it was tough. I felt like I just couldn't get into a good rhythm, and the fact that the sidewalks still aren't plowed didn't help matters. Often I have a harder time with three miles, than with ten miles. With ten, you have time to settle in and get comfortable. But with three, I feel like as soon as I get into a groove, it's over. I don't think there is such thing as a bad run. Just the act of getting out the door and going for a run (or plod, in some cases), constitutes praise. It's easy not to run. It's easy not to be active. Anyone who actively makes the decision to get out the door deserves to be commended. There are good runs, and there are better runs, but they are all runs and they all bring me sanity, strength and stability.

On a side note, I had a great Valentine's Day! Because my husband is a chef and works nights, he made an awesome breakfast this morning. Cherry-chocolate O-Bread French toast with creme fraiche, blood oranges, fresh strawberry jam and a scoop of thin mint ice cream. Bacon, too. Can't forget the bacon.

1 comment:

  1. ummm can he come over and make me breakfast? That sounded amazing!!!! I love that you are blogging now too! It's so true, 3 miles are often harder for me to do than higher miles. Also knowing that you are going only 3 miles makes it seem like it should go by faster or something. I like what you said though. There are good runs and then there are better runs. SO TRUE! Can't wait to run some races with you this spring! Lets get together for a few training runs too!

    ReplyDelete