Sunday, February 27, 2011

Just Be

75 Minute Power Yoga
6.5 mile run outside

I was debating whether or not to go to yoga this morning, but I'm glad I did. The class was great and I always find it so interesting because the teacher starts with a mantra and a hand gesture and offers something to think about throughout the practice. Today she spoke about equanimity. Releasing the good and bad attachments we have to things in our life and creating a sort of neutrality. It can be as simple as yoga poses, some you like and some you don't. Can you release the good and bad attachment and just be? Relating it to life, thinking about "good" and "bad" experiences. Getting through the bad to get to the good. Can you just be here? I don't know if I can. I feel like we need the positive and negative attachments in our lives. We need the negative to experience and appreciate the positive.

I thought about this topic throughout the practice and I came to the conclusion that I have no conclusion. My inner dialogue is going nonstop and I have to say, it often disagrees with itself. One definite BAD attachment to an experience today was during yoga when I got kicked in the face by the women in front of me- twice. The class gets pretty crowded, so I get there early, put down my mat and then bring Jack to the playspace. I came back to find a woman plopped right in front of me. A crowded class usually works well when mats are staggered, but hey, I'm trying to be positive so I didn't say anything. Moving from downward dog to one-legged downward dog to warrior I got a kick right to the forehead. I asked her to move her mat forward (she was in the front row so she had more than enough room) and nothing happened. I don't remember the transition when the next kick happened- but this time it was right to my chin. I didn't ask her to move her mat this time- I told her.

I waited a few hours before going for a run. I left from my mom's a. because she was going to watch Jack and b. because there are plenty of neighborhoods to run through where I can run in the street and not have to worry about plowed sidewalks. I headed down Spear Street, up Pinnacle and to the golf course and back. I felt really good and felt strong. My legs and feet have been feeling a little tired lately and during the run they were feeling a little sore. I'm trying to learn what levels of discomfort are okay to push through. I used to stop or give up whenever I was sore or tired. I'm slowly learning that these are okay feelings. A little discomfort is normal. Having Jack has changed my threshold. When I'm having a tough run, I just tell myself, you went through almost 24 hours of labor. You can suck it up and run for an hour or two.

I completely enjoyed my run today. The first 15 minutes are always the hardest for me. Once I settled into a rhythm I was able to relax and just be present in the run. I wasn't constantly looking at my watch, changing my iPod to the next song.. I was content.

I've been thinking a lot about 26.2 lately. I'm wondering if I have it in me to train for a full and have the mental capacity to race a full. I'd really love to complete one within the next year. I'll keep you posted.

I'll leave you with our family picture from Christmas. Notice Adam's ridiculous moustache. And my lovely face.

No comments:

Post a Comment