Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Leaf Peepers Race Recap

Sunday, October 2 was the 28th running of the Leaf Peepers Half Marathon in Waterbury, Vermont. It's a no frills, hometown race with about 900 runners (also includes a 5K). It was a special year to run this race, as Waterbury recently experienced catastrophe and devastation from Irene. It was my second time running this race- the first time was three years ago (a week before Adam and I got engaged!) and I had an awful time. I went out too fast and ended up walking the last three miles.

During the race this weekend, I reflected on my run on the same road three years earlier. I was still new to the running world and didn't know proper training techniques for ME. I knew techniques, knew what I read in Runner's World, but didn't know what worked for me. As a newbie runner, I was a little lost and naive. I didn't get the "hurt" part of a race. I walked those last couple miles because I was hurting. I've grown a lot in the past three years, and the difference this time during the last three miles was that I knew I could deal with the pain.

.....

When Melissa and I talked about my goals for this race, it made me really proud and blessed to have someone like her in my life who believes in me.

The race started and I was mindful to start off slow. Mile one was 10:15, mile two 9:45, mile three 9:40. I was a little nervous because I felt like I was starting off too fast. I slowed down a little but for the most part decided to just hold on. Melissa tweeted a quote about going from good to great. I decided that I was going to test myself and see if I could hold sub 10 minute miles for this race. I wouldn't know if I didn't try. With a 10:20 exception at mile ten (took an extra long water station walk break), I was able to maintain my pace.

It was chilly and rained for most of the race, and because it was an out and back, the last few miles were really boring. I listed to music for the last couple of miles, and Adele.. she really got me pumped up.

When I rounded the corner and saw 2:10 on the clock, I was so excited. I crossed the finish line in 2:10:34- taking six minutes off my previous half marathon PR (Mad Half). I couldn't wait to tell Melissa! If she hadn't put 2:10 in my mind, I don't know if I would have gone for it. I think I would have settled for the easy way out.

.....

My aunt ran the race, too- it was so nice to spend the day with her, chat and catch up. She is such an inspiration- as a woman, mother and runner. She killed it- finishing in 1:47! Sadly, I took no pics. I will steal the professional pics and share them with they're ready.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Congrats on your new PR! Sometimes it's little quotes like that...they really help to push you through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go girl. I never doubted you!

    ReplyDelete