Saturday, October 22, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust

5:00 am wake up call for a 5:30 date with Green Mountain Runner. I woke up, taking up the whole bed, which meant Adam had fallen asleep on the couch last night. I tiptoed downstairs (sleeping baby upstairs) and yes, there he was, Wii remote on his chest and Top Gear loaded up on Netflix.

I started to make coffee and Adam woke up and asked "What are you doing?" "I'm going for a run with Melissa." "Why?"

Why? Because I've become the crazy runner lady. And I love it.

The first nine miles were run in complete darkness- luckily Melissa came prepared with a headlamp, flashing light, vest and wrist reflector. We were prepared. The first few miles today were tough. At mile four I had no idea how I was going to complete nine more. We chatted the whole time and I always love our talks when we run. Except when I say uncomfortable things, like at mile 11, calling a lady on the street a dumbass for telling us not to get wet (it had already been raining the entire run).

We finished 13.1 miles in 2:10:04. My "half marathon" PR is 2:10:38- does this count as a new PR?

My legs felt really tired and trashed today, but what felt awesome? My stomach. I have become used to cramps (and more- I won't go into detail) towards the end of long runs, and for a while after- usually the entire day. Today I had no stomach problems at all. Zero. It felt amazing to finish a run and not have to run to the bathroom (and stay there for a while). Fuel today before was coffee, water and a tablespoon of honey. Throughout the run, I ate a Balance bar and drank lemon-lime Nuun. I'm going to try this again on the eight-ish mile run next weekend before the race and see how I feel. I might try to add a little something extra pre-run but stick with the Balance bar during.

Thanks, GMR, for another great run! She pushed me through the last few miles. I was done at mile ten, and was struggling to keep up the pace. She pushed the pace and luckily I was able to hold on. She encouraged me to run sub-9 for the last mile, and we did.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great run, with a new PR to boot!!!
    I definitely run faster with someone else pushing me, it's so great to do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I'm impressed with you gals running soooo early in the morning! Like I told GMR, I can't get myself going to run in the a.m. I'm more of the afternoon/night runner! You two make a great team! Good luck at the Shelburne 1/2!!! If I was in town, I'd cheer you on, but I'll be on the Cape running in the Falmouth Marathon Relay on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great run! I LOVE getting is a great workout. Makes my day much better. I SO WISH I was an early morning runner. I try, I suck!

    xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete