Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Marathon Training Weeks 11 & 12

Weeks 11 and 12 of marathon training have been a complete whirlwind! I pretty much stuck to the plan, aside from a few minor scheduling adjustments, I was able to stay on track. 

Week 11:
  • Monday: 5 mile run with friends from work. I have an awesome running group at work and even though we all around the same pace, whenever we run together we pick it up. I'm so thankful to have them.
  • Tuesday: 3 mile run in the morning, solo, then bodypump at lunch time.
  • Wednesday: 3.6 miles. Our group headed out with the intention of doing 5 miles but a serious storm came through and we cute it short.
  • Thursday: My best friend flew in unexpectedly on Wednesday night and we had a sleepover, just like old times. Needless to say, I was feeling the after-effects of too much wine today. I wanted to get some miles in because my 8 on Tuesday turning into 3 and a class, and 5 turned into 3.6, but oh well.
  • Friday: 8 miles solo in the early morning before work.
  • Saturday: Rest - day of travel to Kennebunkport.
  • Sunday: Day 1 of vacation included an 8 mile run with Alice in the jogger along the ocean. Yes, please. My schedule called for a step-back week in terms of long run, with 13 on tap, but I'm pleased that I did 8.
Total: 27 miles

Week 12:
This week (minus Sunday) was spent on vacation, which can prove difficult to fit in runs. Getting up early (which was easy with Miss Alice as my alarm clock) and bringing the jogger proved a good choice in terms of marathon training.
  • Monday: 9 mile run (no baby) with my sister-in-law. It was a tough run, and she ended up tacking on a couple extra miles but I just didn't have it in me.
  • Tuesday: Rest - fried seafood and local beer, all day.
  • Wednesday: 6 mile run with Alice and Jack
  • Thursday: 5 mile run with Alice
  • Friday: 5 mile run solo and I managed to average 9:29. I'll take it.
  • Saturday: Rest - day of travel back to the real world.
  • Sunday: 18 freakin miles!!! It was an awesome run and averaged 10:29. I felt really strong throughout the 3 hours and 8 minutes I was on my feet. I fueled with water and Gu, which worked out really well. Mentally, I was prepared for the run which made a huge difference. I didn't go into it thinking, ugh, I have to run 18 miles. I went in ready because I knew completion would mean I'm that much more ready for 26.2. Bring it.
Total: 43 miles (!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment