Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fall Shelburne Half Marathon

It's been really hard to try and find the time to sit down and write when I stare at the computer all day for work. But, when I do, it feels really good and I love having this little space for dialogue.
Alice is doing really well and heads to meet with her cardiologist next week which will give us a better picture of what we can expect going forward. Fingers crossed all goes well.

A few weeks ago, while I was riding high on my 4:34 marathon finish, I registered for the Shelburne Half Marathon. I have run this race twice before and the 2011 one held my half marathon PR of 2:07:15. You might remember that I narrowly missed beating this number last spring at Unplugged (don't mind my overly dramatic non-recap) with a time of 2:07:50.

So, I registered for the race this year with every intention to PR but then life got in the way. I ran a total of about 15 miles between the October 6 marathon and November 3, with one 5 mile run and the rest 3-4. I knew I could cover the distance but didn't know how fast. I made a plan for the race to listen to music the entire time, run as fast as felt comfortable and if I bonked at mile 10, oh well, I could walk.

The gun went off and I began my plan. The course was hilly and the wind at times was really strong.
Mile 1: 9:31
Mile 2: 9:30
Mile 3: 10:00
Mile 4: 9:28
Mile 5: 9:14
Mile 6: 10:00
Mile 7: 9:19
Mile 8: 9:31
Mile 9: 9:35
Mile 10: 10:00
Mile 11: 9:52
Mile 12: 9:33
Mile 13: 9:37

Giving me a new PR of 2:04:10!!! My Garmin actually measured the distance short giving me a total of 12.91 miles, but I figure if I had run the same pace for .2 more miles I would still PR, so it counts :) It was such an awesome day with my amazing running friends racing and cheering as well. Now I really want to break 2:00:00!

No comments:

Post a Comment