Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Marathon Training Week 13

This week of marathon training was all about balance. I struggled at times to fit all of the runs in, but managed to do it (and not go crazy). I've been keeping track of my times in my training log so I'm going to start posting them here for your enjoyment. I know I should only be worried about one or the other - distance or speed - and obviously with marathon training it's distance. But, honestly I'd like to get just a little faster. I like seeing paces that begin with a 9 and am hoping someday I'll even see some 8's. I don't, however, worry about pace at all with the jogger (unless of course I whip out some super speedy numbers) and go by distance. Perceived effort with that beast is really high, especially with all of the hills where we live. I usually hover around 11:15 with it.

Monday: Rest. It actually wasn't that tough going back to work after a week off.
Tuesday: 5 mile run (50:06) with two coworkers
Wednesday: 3 mile run (28:31) with coworkers, then 3.5 miles with Jack and Alice with the jogger after work.
Thursday: 5 miles with Jack and Alice.
Friday: 8 miles - 6 with Alice, left her at my mom's and ran two miles home (mile 7: 10:16 and mile 8: 9:30).
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 20 miles!!! Eek! It was a long run (duh) but felt totally manageable averaging 11:00 minute miles. One more twenty miler the weekend after next then it's taper time!

I feel like what I thought was going to be a washout week actually turned into a solid training week with 44 total miles. It's sort of crazy to me that I ran 44 miles in one week and I can't believe I hit 147 last month. I by no means consider myself an inspiration, but it is proof that anyone can run - and make time to run. People often ask how I train with a full-time job outside of the home, two kids, and a husband who works nights. I always give the same answer - I make it a priority. Whether it's pushing them in the jogger, getting up at 5 am, breaking a run into two parts, squeezing in a couple of miles during lunch, so be it. I make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment