Sunday, July 8, 2012

What's To Come

Is it possible to simultaneously feel ecstatic and sad about a single event? With the baby due any day now, my excitement and anticipation is bubbling over. I cannot wait to meet and bond with the newest member of our family (and find out if we should be buying pink or not). At the same time, I'm feeling nostalgic knowing that everything is going to change. Becoming pregnant with Jack was a (complete) surprise- but I never had that feeling of nervousness about adding a baby to our coupledom. I never felt the loss of it being "just the two of us." But now, the thought of going from a family of three to four scares me. Adam, Jack and I have an identifiable bond that will inevitably change. I've been trying to fit in as much special Jack time in these past couple of days and weeks as possible.

I'm so worried that he'll feel slighted once the baby arrives. We went to the beach with friends today, and after Jack and I went for ice cream- just the two of us. I couldn't help but feel sad knowing that pretty soon these one-on-one dates will be much less frequent. I'm sure the hormones of being just about 40 weeks pregnant are playing a role, but I feel so lucky for the connections we've made with Jack the 2 1/2 years he's been here. And really, I know things are only going to get better with the next baby Stoner.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! Saw your comment over on hungryrunnergirl that you're 40 weeks as well! I just stopped running last Thursday the day before I was 39 weeks because it started to be really uncomfortable. :( This is my sixth baby, due Friday, but I can honestly say - EVERY SINGLE TIME I have cried after the birth in the first week or so because of that feeling that everything had changed. I remember being on a date with my husband when our first was about 3 days old (he was home for only 9 days 4 months in to a 6 month deployment, so we craved a little alone time) and bursting into tears because it would never be the same. Did the same thing after number two was born - and number 3. I am sure I did it with the others, but it's not as distinct a memory :) Anyway, I think it's probably hormones mainly, but also just a natural reaction to change :)

    ReplyDelete