Sunday, June 9, 2013

VCM

Backtracking a couple of weeks to the Vermont City Marathon... I was pretty excited to run this course again and was hoping for a PR, especially since I had just narrowly missed one at Unplugged a few weeks prior. Like any runner getting ready for a race, I obsessively checked the weather for race day and every day the forecast became progressively worse.

It poured the day before and packing my stuff (and the million things Adam would need as a spectator in the rain with two little kids) I had accepted the fact that it was going to be soggy. 

When I woke up in the morning, I really wasn't worried about the rain. I felt pretty calm, a little nervous and very excited and ready to run. 


It was a little cold waiting for the race to start, but I can't complain because I didn't have to wait around in the rain while my partner ran their leg (i.e. my mom and Aunt Mary).


The race flew by. I started pretty conservatively because I was really nervous about burning out in the last few miles. As I went through the race I really tried to take it all in. It's such an amazing day to be in Burlington and the spectators cheering their hearts out in the pouring rain was amazing. By mile 6 I felt great and picked up the pace, but it was also about this point that I realized a PR was out of the question. I had held back too much in the beginning that there was no way I could make up the time I lost. I finished strong and felt good about nailing negative splits. My last mile was in 8:55 - super speedy, for me. My official time was 2:10:58 with my Garmin time 2:12:01 for 13.45 miles (maybe too much weaving?).

It's my favorite day of the year in Burlington and makes me realize how awesome our little city is. It made me really pumped to do the 26.2 next year! 

Which brings me to the next development... My little antsy pants decided that I can't wait another full year before getting my marathon fix in. After an initial thought about the Smuttynose Marathon in October, a text from Melissa sealed the deal.

I registered! I just completed week 1 of the 18 week training plan and am so excited. I think I can keep this enthusiasm rolling, especially with Melissa running it as well. It turns out another running friend is registered, too, and I think having others going through marathon training with me will be encouraging. 

Here's to a summer of running!

No comments:

Post a Comment